Rosemary-Lemon Spaghetti Squash

Rosemary Lemon Spaghetti Squash | Popular PaleoI should really have named my blog “The One Who is Obsessed with Goat Cheese, Bacon and Spaghetti Squash” because that’s really more to the point. I sure hope you’re not getting tired of all this spaghetti squash business, ’cause, yes, there’s even more where this came from! For now, I’m going to write up what we had the other night.

Do you ever buy those rotisserie chickens from Costco? They’re preservative free, sugar free and only $5! I love them. There are many nights where I just need to throw together a basic dinner of roasted chicken with steamed veggies and these rotisserie chickens make that very easy to do. I am in third-grade science fair project hell at the moment, so I’ve fallen behind on many things, including this blog.  Thankfully, out of the haze of science comes this yummy (and easy!) “pasta” dinner… and I finally have a minute to share it with you.

Ingredients:
1 roasted (or rotisserie) chicken, leg and thigh meat only (should yield about 2 cups)
2 TBSP coconut oil
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary (yields about 2 tsp)
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
zest of one lemon (about 1 TBSP)
pinch of kosher salt
1/2 roasted spaghetti squash

Prep:
Roast the spaghetti squash in a 400 degree oven for 40 minutes.  Simply split the squash lengthwise, clean out the guts with a spoon and roast cut-side down. When done, flip cut-side up and allow to cool a bit before handling. To harvest the strands, scrape with the grain using a fork. Comes out perfect!

While the squash roasts (or if you’re using leftovers just jump to this step), trim the meat from the legs and thighs of a roasted chicken. I leave the skin on, but do what suits you.  Set this aside. Grab the lemon, garlic and fresh rosemary. Use a microplane to harvest perfect lemon zest and mince the garlic and rosemary, then combine in a small bowl. Isn’t it pretty?

Rosemary, garlic & lemon zest | Popular Paleo

Heat a pan to medium-high and melt a couple tablespoons of coconut oil. Sauté the chicken in the oil just to warm through. Add the squash, a pinch of kosher salt and toss to combine.  The garlic-rosemary-lemon blend goes in next. Give it a quick toss to evenly distribute and you’re ready to serve.

Rosemary Lemon Spaghetti Squash | Popular Paleo

We ate this hot, but I could see it as a light summer time “pasta salad” too.  It would also be great with prawns or without meat to accompany fish as a side dish.

Rosemary Lemon Spaghetti Squash | Popular Paleo

imarenegade_350

Join the Real Food Revolution! Find this recipe and more great food at Food Renegade’s Fight Back Friday!

Comments

1. says

This is so good! I doubled it for a whole squash and served with a rotisserie chicken. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to get some fresh rosemary (so sad!) so I just used dried and added some thyme and basil. I eat a ton of spaghetti squash when it’s in season, and I don’t know why I never thought to add lemon zest. Glad to include this in my menu rotation.

2. Laura Anne says

Made tonight! Great favors! Love the lemon and rosemary! Had to end up nuking the squash, because it wasn’t done, but overall perfect tasting in the end!

3. Niccole says

This was delicious! My whole family loved it including my 7 and 4 year old boys! I added parmesan and fresh diced tomatoes!

• says

Awesome, Niccole! I love hearing that! Passing the kid test is definitely a huge accomplishment! :-) I bet the tomatoes and parm really sent it over the top. Thanks for sharing!

4. says

Just so you are aware..it was amazing! I sauteed bacon and onion wilted in spinach and put that goodness on the squash and topped with goat cheese crumbles and blk pepper. You were totally my inspiration. Thank you pinterest for leading me to your page.

5. says

So I read your comment The One Who is Obsessed with Goat Cheese, Bacon and Spaghetti Squash” and thought u had a recipe to combine all 3..that would be pure genius, I may experiment tonight.

• says

Good question — Two totally different things, my friend. One’s a winter squash (meaning it has a hard rind that needs to be peeled) and the other is a summer (no peeling required). Both zucchini and spaghetti squash are used as a popular substitutes for regular pasta noodles in Paleo cooking, but would be prepared totally different.

Here’s a fun link on all things squash!

6. says

I have a CRAZY obsession with spaghetti squash! I go through like 15 pounds in 2 days (no exaggeration at all)… That being said, I tend to make it the same every time, thanks for a new suggestion! :)

7. says

This looks delish! I can’t remember where I read this once, but when I want to cut time out from cooking spaghetti squash, I prepare as usual and then microwave each half for 9 minutes. If I’m using a smaller squash, I’ll have both halves in there for 10. It works wonders and comes out in half the time!