As an outsider, Paleo can look pretty strange. When I first scoped it out I literally laughed out loud — no way would you see me eating leftover fish and some sautéed greens for breakfast. And yes, I was among those who reaffirmed the love of all things pasta and cheese and vowed never to part from them. But a year later I was still feeling terrible despite a low calorie, chemically sweetened, pro-soy, whole grain filled diet. (Doing everything we’re supposed to do, right?) So I dusted off that copy of The Paleo Diet I ordered the year prior, and gave it an honest read. The rest is history.
Now that I’ve become one of those people, I’m summing up 20 ways you too can know if you’ve become a Paleo convert! We gotta stick together, after all. 😉
1. You get super excited when dessert recipes showcase avocado, zucchini or beets as a secret ingredient.
2. You give serious consideration to paying between $5 and $10 for a single pre-made Paleo product just to spare yourself the effort of making it from scratch.
3. When you see food you think about it in terms of micronutrients. For example, others see an egg. You see protein, Omega-3, selenium, choline, biotin, iodine, phosphorus, zinc, copper, calcium, pantothenic acid and Vitamins A, B, D, E, K.
And yes, you eat the yolks
4. At a party you only eat the pastured, nitrate-free bacon, plantain chips made with virgin coconut oil and fresh guacamole… that you brought with you. Cause you bring food with you wherever you go now.
5. You love explaining to people over and over again why whole grains are, in fact, not heart healthy.
6. Just the thought of eating Taco Bell turns your stomach upside down.
7. Meeting the animals you plan on having in your freezer in a few short months isn’t at all awkward.
8. The beginning of your order at a restaurant starts with “Ok, this is gonna sound strange, but I need…”
9. You know more than 5 ways to use coconut oil and can break down its health benefits without blinking an eye.
10. You order a side of meat to add onto the salad that already comes with meat. And skip the dressing, of course.
11. When you see the fat content in a recipe you smile instead of wince.
12. You’re prepared to put grocery store checkers through their paces when you buy vegetables. I mean, it’s not their fault they don’t see plantains, jicama, turnips, celeriac, horseradish root, bok choy, or tomatillos come down that conveyor belt all that often.
13. Canned sardines and smoked oysters are welcome at any venue, even when traveling by air. (see #4) You may have even offered it to your neighbors just to demonstrate their deliciousness.
14. You don’t even think about calories and serving sizes anymore.
15. A recipe calling for 8 eggs sounds completely reasonable.
16. You’ve declared, more than once, that Paleo is not a diet–IT’S A LIFESTYLE!
17. If it ain’t jiggling, it ain’t bone broth.
18. You’ve traded flowers for vegetables in your yard.
19. You’ve thought to yourself more than once that you really do need to get more organ meats into your diet…
20. You totally get what is meant by the hashtag #morevegetablesthanavegetarian
What would you add to this list?
Share it with the other Paleo converts in your life… Pin it here!