I love finding creative ways to revamp leftovers, and this BBQ Pork & Butternut Squash Skillet recipe is a perfect example of what we can do with the “next meal potential” of a big batch of pulled pork.
Pulled pork is a staple in my home, meaning it happens a couple times a month. I like to make pulled pork in both a slow cooker and a basic oven method — my preference is definitely the oven, however. Topped on baked sweet potatoes, loaded into a burrito bowl, mixed up with jalapeno for a spicy frittata, or just served alongside roasted veggies, batch cooking pulled pork just makes good sense for a Paleo family.
Tis the season for squash and after making my very favorite recipe from Real Life Paleo called Green Onion & Bacon Mac-n-Cheese, I had some shredded butternut leftover. Combining the squash and pork together was a dreamy (and convenient) idea. Texturally they complement each other well — better than if the squash was cubed, for example. And both take well to the spicy-bold-sweet flavors of BBQ sauce.
Since this only takes a few minutes to prepare, definitely bookmark this one for using up your pulled pork leftovers the next time it hits your meal rotation. And if you STILL have food leftover after making this, then gently fry an egg and serve it over this recipe warmed up the next morning.
- 3 cups of prepared pulled pork
- 2 cups shredded butternut squash
- 2 tbsp bacon fat, plus additional as needed
- ½ cup preferred BBQ sauce
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Garnish: thinly sliced red onion
- In a large skillet, warm the pulled pork with the bacon fat until the pork crisps slightly.
- Remove the pork from the skillet and set aside in a dish for later.
- Add a little more bacon fat if the pan is dry, reduce to low heat.
- Add the shredded butternut squash, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the squash until it softens and takes on a little color -- careful not to burn it though! 3-4 minutes is about the right amount of time.
- Meanwhile, add preferred BBQ sauce to the reserved pork and mix well.
- Once the squash has softened and browned a bit, add the sauced pork back to the pan and combine.
- Turn off the heat, top with thinly sliced red onion and serve.
A few items help this recipe come together:
The obvious one is a skillet! Do you need one though? Nope. Truly any large pan (about 12″) with tall sides will do. I’ve come to love the shred disc attachment for my food processor. Grating is a chore to me, so I use this accessory to breeze through the squash (don’t forget the disc attachment stem if you order the discs!). And finally, I’d recommend a Paleo-friendly BBQ sauce, but choose what’s best for you.
Save this recipe to a Pinterest board: