Coffee is a big deal for a lot of us. I live in the Pacific Northwest where coffee is pretty much a way of life, so I definitely understand the issue of nixing the sugary creamers or creamy lattes as a part of your goals to stick to Paleo principles, improve digestive health and/or control inflammation. Can I confess something that will hopefully make you feel better? It was the very last thing I let go when I was transitioning a couple years ago. I was that addicted. I mean, my first job was as a barista at 15 (when they still kept their clothes on), so this is a big deal for me.
Here are three things that changed my world when it comes to coffee:
1) The taste can be easily “mellowed” with grass-fed butter or ghee
2) Fat + coffee = brain fuel
3) Fat + coffee + turmeric = anti-inflammatory brain fuel
You may have heard the brand Bulletproof Coffee® or “butter coffee” floating around. From me to you, it’s legit. I was fairly skeptical about the whole thing initially, but now I get it. It’s weird, but it really works for me.
Here’s what I like to do:
- 1 cup hot brewed coffee
- 1/2 tsp pure organic vanilla extract (like this one)
- 1 tbsp grass-fed ghee (LOVE this brand!)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (like this one)
- 1/2 tsp organic turmeric (I buy this one)
- **or I use 2 tbsp of Coffee++ from Pure Indian Foods in place of the ghee and coconut oil
Now, all of that said, there is finally an option for really friggin great pre-made butter coffees called Coffee Blocks. They’re incredible. Drop them into a blender, pour in warm/hot but not boiling water and blend. It’s as close to healthy instant coffee as you can get.
If you find you still need sweetener, add a touch of coconut palm sugar or organic maple syrup to the mix. But honestly, I don’t even miss it anymore. And that’s coming from a born and raised, Washington state, white chocolate mocha slash pumpkin spice latte lover from way back. There is hope for us yet!
Want to learn more about the health benefits of turmeric? This post from Authority Nutrition breaks it down!